"Code first" for personal hx polyps?

Best answers
Has anyone noticed how personal hx of colon polyps is coded in ICD-10? (Z86.010) That there is a code first note, indicating to code Z09 first? (which is a surveillance code).
Thoughts on how this will affect the age old battle of screening vs hx polyps and whether it will hit their preventative or medical benefits?

I also noticed the Screening for malignant neoplasm category (Z12) has notes indicating it's to be used for asymptomatic individuals. I really wish they would've clarified that further to state "without a personal hx". That would've settled that argument once and for all.

Stacy Maloney, CPC

We're still having issues with this. The ICD-10 instructs you to bill Z09 first and then Z86.010. I was just wondering if you have any new information or if you're getting denials??

code first for personal hx polyps

ICD 10 cm is suppose to have the same logic as ICD 9 cm in regards to the reason for the visit. For example, if you're coding for the Emergency Department you would not code for personal hx. polyps as the primary dx. code(i.e. trauma or sudden unbearable pain). However, if you're coding for the Gastroenterology department then it would be appropriate to code personal hx. polyps as the 1st dx code when it reflects the healthcare providers' documentation, as well as, screening for neoplasm.

I hope this clears up some of your doubts.

Eugenia Randler, cpc. :rolleyes:

Has anyone noticed how personal hx of colon polyps is coded in ICD-10? (Z86.010) That there is a code first note, indicating to code Z09 first? (which is a surveillance code).
Thoughts on how this will affect the age old battle of screening vs hx polyps and whether it will hit their preventative or medical benefits?

I also noticed the Screening for malignant neoplasm category (Z12) has notes indicating it's to be used for asymptomatic individuals. I really wish they would've clarified that further to state "without a personal hx". That would've settled that argument once and for all.
Read the code first note carefully. It states code first any follow up exam after treatment. This is specific to the follow up after treatment of the polyps. So if this is not a follow up for the polyp after the the treatment then you will not use the Z09.