Wiki Code Assist Options?

mattra

New
Best answers
We are currently using CodeRyte as a code assist product for Radiology, but they have become unreliable. Does anyone have suggestions for alternative products to them? I'm scouring the web but coming up with a lot of nothing...:(

Sorry to hear that someone else is living my nightmare. We learned that despite 3M's promises, CodeRyte has some challenges when it comes to CAC. It soured us so much on CAC, that we've actually resumed having coders soft-code our Rehab services, and we have limited Radiology to those encounters where there is a 1:1 match with a service/report, so that if a patient comes in for multiple radiology tests, we have to code those outside CodeRyte because it can't match up multiple reports.

I would be reluctant to suggest any other sort of CAC product, since they all tend to work the same; an ADT feed identifies the patient, and the reports are matched up (after a fashion), during which time 'real language processing' delivers ICD-10-CM coding. We didn't use the CPT function, because we're using this in the OP setting, where the charge comes across the Chargemaster. And from a diagnosis coding perspective, we found that if the report reads 'No sign of arthritis", the computer codes arthritis, despite our correcting this over and over. I can't imagine we'll ever be able to send these into our confident queue, and customer service is virtually non-existent because their staff turnover is worse than junior high school dating. Nice, right?

So, I'm not the person to ask about computer assisted coding, because we can do it faster and more accurately than this product. There's nothing (in my mind) like a smart coder!

I code radiology independently for two clients. One uses Optum, and we have to double check the codes. It will frequently default to an unspecified code when the report clearly documents a more specific code. Other times, it will miss a diagnosis altogether and code the symptoms when a patient has a new fracture or dislocation.

My other client does not use CAC, and as a coder, it is easier for me to enter diagnosis codes from scratch instead of correcting errors made by the coding software.

Patricia Murrin, CPC, RCC
Independent Radiology Coder

Computer Assisted Coding (CAC) programs

I have been searching online for customer reviews for CAC programs. I found some employee reviews, but not much info on the web in relation to customer reviews.

I'm specifically interested in 3M's CodeRyte as I have had a sales representative calling me for some time now. Any comments on this product and how your company utilizes the product are much appreciated!

Don't bother

Hopefully we will be switching to something other than Code Ryte in the future. We also use it for multiple radiology practices and spend most of the time correcting the coding. Usually it will choose an unspecified code or will decide to put Z04.9 which is not a good code. OB ultrasounds are an absolute nightmare and don't get me started on mammograms!! Code Ryte is constantly asking us why we won't go straight to bill, well because your system sucks and we are reviewing about 1000 tests a day to make sure they are clean and ready to bill. Oh the system is also assigning ICD-9 codes which in turn will send some procedures to the insufficient doc queue because the ICD-9 code does not meet CMS requirements. Well no duh!