Wiki code 99245

samyjm13

Guru
Best answers
One of our providers "referred" a pt. to our Orthopedic. He saw the pt, examined the pt. and then wrote a note back to the provider of his findings and dx for that pt. Now...the orthopedic charged a consult code 99245, and it is a workman's comp to boot. I didn't think we could charge consults any longer. Can someone please help me out with this?

Thank you
samy

One of our providers "referred" a pt. to our Orthopedic. He saw the pt, examined the pt. and then wrote a note back to the provider of his findings and dx for that pt. Now...the orthopedic charged a consult code 99245, and it is a workman's comp to boot. I didn't think we could charge consults any longer. Can someone please help me out with this?

Thank you
samy

Consult codes are still availabe, provided that the service meets the requirements for a consult. It is mainly Medicare and MA plans that are no longer accepting consult codes. Some commercial payers no longer accept them either, depending on the area you are in, but here in Louisiana all of our commercial payers still accept them. We are also still using consults with W/C patients.

Hope this helps!!