Wiki COC Exam

CScholer

Contributor
Best answers
Hello all,

I am having a heck of time passing my COC exam. I have missed the test by 5-8 questions both time and it seems to come down to time constraint each and everytime. I have done the study guide and taken all the online practice exams and I seem to do pretty well with both. Is there anything else I should be doing,studying,taking any additional courses,classes on line.
I received my Advanced Coding Certificate at my local community college and have taken an Anatomy and Physiology and Pharmacology courses as well. It is frustrating to have Failed this test 2 times now and I am not sure what I am doing wrong or what I am really getting wrong.
I would be grateful for any help and or assistance with how I can pass this test.
And has anyone else failed this as many times as I have.
Thanks
Carlie:confused:

Have you taken the Blitz course from Certification Coaching? If not, check it out and read their reviews. They don't have a Blitz for COC, only for CPC. However, I am also trying for COC, and bought it anyway. I'm so glad I did. I wish I had taken all their courses instead of the one I took. Laureen is a fabulous teacher, and her time management methods are simple...but they work! The website is cco.us.

Hello all,

I am having a heck of time passing my COC exam. I have missed the test by 5-8 questions both time and it seems to come down to time constraint each and everytime. I have done the study guide and taken all the online practice exams and I seem to do pretty well with both. Is there anything else I should be doing,studying,taking any additional courses,classes on line.
I received my Advanced Coding Certificate at my local community college and have taken an Anatomy and Physiology and Pharmacology courses as well. It is frustrating to have Failed this test 2 times now and I am not sure what I am doing wrong or what I am really getting wrong.
I would be grateful for any help and or assistance with how I can pass this test.
Thanks

I took the COC course thru CCO and it was fantastic. My instructor Tammy was awesome. I passed the COC on the first try. You should look into purchasing the blitz it will help you prepare for the exam, yes it is for the CPC but there are principles you can use for the COC like bubbling and highlight your books for exam, time mgt strategies. Did you look on the AAPC and gives you the outline for the exam. It was helpful to me.

Hello all,

Thanks
I know this is an old post, but I was wondering how you made out with the COC exam. I am looking into AAPC's COC course and I'm wondering how demanding it will be.

So, just took the test and failed with 60%. Question? Does the questions on the certification test change each time? I was under the impression the exam would cover HIV, maternity, fractures however none of the questions related to this? Any suggestions or help?

So, just took the test and failed with 60%. Question? Does the questions on the certification test change each time? I was under the impression the exam would cover HIV, maternity, fractures however none of the questions related to this? Any suggestions or help?
Everything I was told that would be on the exam wasn’t. Little frustrated since I put effort into other areas.

The coding section of the COC exam will have questions regarding the correct application of CPT®, HCPCS Level II procedure and supply codes, and ICD-10-CM diagnosis codes used for coding and billing outpatient facility/hospital and freestanding ASC services to insurance companies.

As with any exam, the mix of coding questions you get may vary. You may have some HIV or fracture questions, you may not. You may have some maternity questions to the extent that maternity claims might be billed from an outpatient facility. (My personal, unofficial opinion is that I wouldn't expect a lot of maternity from an outpatient facility.)

I'd anticipate that there would be a substantial emphasis on surgery coding, since the exam is pertaining to outpatient facility & ASC coding.

You will not have the same questions if you retake the exam. There are different question banks/versions for each exam attempt.

Everything I was told that would be on the exam wasn’t. Little frustrated since I put effort into other areas.

Did you take the COC course?

You can look on the AAPC website to find the breakdown of question types for the COC exam:

Breakdown of the 100-question COC exam

Passing the COC exam requires you to correctly answer a minimum of 70 questions from the domains below. The exam will rely on a level of understanding that enables you to identify the domain.

Medical terminology (7 questions)
These questions will assess your knowledge of medical terminology for all systems in the human body.

Anatomy (7 questions)
These questions will assess your knowledge of anatomy for all systems in the human body.

Coding guidelines (3 questions)
This section will address the ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, CPT® coding guidelines and parenthetical notes, and modifier use.

Payment methodologies (13 questions)
This section will test your knowledge of payment methodologies which pertain to services covered under Medicare Parts A, B, C, and D; Medicare as secondary payer; OPPS and IPPS payment methodologies; and UB-04 and CMS-1500 claim form completion requirements.

Compliance (3 questions)
This section will address NCDs/LCDs, HIPAA, and ABNs.

ICD-10-CM (15 questions)
This area will test your proficiency in diagnosis coding within all the chapters of ICD-10-CM, as well as thorough knowledge of the ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting. Additionally, diagnosis questions will appear in other sections of the exam from the CPT® categories.

HCPCS Level II (7 questions)
This section will test your knowledge on HCPCS Level II coding and includes questions focusing on modifiers, supplies, medications, and professional services for Medicare patients.

CPT® (13 questions)
This section will test your knowledge of CPT® coding for evaluation and management, surgery, radiology, pathology/laboratory, and medicine procedures and services.

Surgery and modifiers (22 questions)
This part of the exam will test your proficiency related to procedures approved for outpatient hospital and ASC facilities.

Cases (10 cases, 1 question each)
Each case will test your ability to accurately code medical record documentation using CPT®, ICD-10-CM, and HCPCS Level II codes.