Wiki COB Info

JCampbell

Guru
Best answers
Can anyone tell me how they handle a patient who has 2 insurances that are both paying as primary. We have contacted the patient several times requesting that the information be updated but this still hasn't been updated? Because of this we are receiving overpayments.

Thanks for any advice that you may be able to give.

Jennifer

Can anyone tell me how they handle a patient who has 2 insurances that are both paying as primary. We have contacted the patient several times requesting that the information be updated but this still hasn't been updated? Because of this we are receiving overpayments.

Thanks for any advice that you may be able to give.

Jennifer

Is the patient cooperating and following through with his insurances? If the patient is dropping the ball you might want to consider sending the charges to him directly and asking that he file his own claims until the matter is resolved. We have found with Auto claims when the patient doesn't provide the information needed it tends to motivate them to get us what we need when they start getting the bills. I realize these are different scenerios and this might not pertain but thats my thoughts... :)

Depending on the office's contract with the insurance, the patient may not be able to be billed without billing the insurance first.

I've had success in contacting the secondary insurance carrier and informing them of their overpayment. When we send out secondary claims the primary payment info is listed, but unfortunately it still results in two primary payments at times. After the notification, I've seen them retract their claim payment/decision and THEN hold the patient responsible for the remaining balance until they provide COB info.

Lena