Wiki Closed treatment followed by planned ORIF of fracture

katynulph

Networker
Best answers
Good morning.

I am looking for any supporting documentation that when an ORIF is planned to treat a fracture the initial closed treament should not be charged. Here is my situation:

A new patient presents to the office on 10/2/14 with multiple fractures. Provider treats both fractures with closed reduction - distal radius and right foot. The provider also states in their note that ORIF is needed for the distal radius fracture. Another provider in same office does the ORIF on 10/20/14.

My thought is the closed reduction should not be billed since the open reduction is already planned. They can possibly bill for the cast (if placed and documented) and any supplies but wouldn't the closed reduction be bundled?

I have found a few articles on the AAOS regarding closed fracture care and information on the NCCI manual that address if a closed treatment fails but this treatment did not fail and ORIF was already planned to occur.

Help please.

This may fall under a modifier 58 situation. Take a look at Appendix A - Modifiers in the CPT manual and see if it applies to your situation.