Wiki Closed fx tx requiring trip to operating room within global period for orif

Best answers
I have a patient initially treated and billed with closed fracture care who's fracture became displaced requiring a trip to the operating room for orif. What modifier is appropriate to bill for this change in condition/treatment? 79?

I would use -78 as it is unplanned, but related and required a return trip to the operating room.[/Q

the initial care was not in the operating room, but fracture care only. the fracture became displaced during closed treatment requiring the operating room care for ORIF. still use 78?

Modifier 58 can be used to indicate a procedure that is "more extensive than the original procedure", for example closed reduction and then orif. That's what I usually use.

I appreciate others input - I am still rather green at orthopaedics and am always eager to hear from those more seasoned !! Thanks!!

I appreciate the feedback. I've worked multi-specialty for years with Orthopedics mixed in, but it's been a few years and I feel I'm relearning. It's always good to have the input of others more "fresh" in the specialty!