Wiki closed fracture documentation

JYSPA

Networker
Best answers
I am looking for :
1. What documentation is necessary to qualify for closed treatment of a fracture ? (ankle/pelvis/etc)?
(fyi: posterior pelvis closed treatment fx has 0 days global)
2. What form should physician put this in to qualify? (Separate procedure note, addendum to consultation note, etc)

If anyone has any documentation guideline already in place for closed fracture treatment for the physicians, please share.
Thanks in advance..

Last edited:
I am looking for :
1. What documentation is necessary to qualify for closed treatment of a fracture ? (ankle/pelvis/etc)?
(fyi: posterior pelvis closed treatment fx has 0 days global)
2. What form should physician put this in to qualify? (Separate procedure note, addendum to consultation note, etc)

If anyone has any documentation guideline already in place for closed fracture treatment for the physicians, please share.
Thanks in advance..
What I think your asking is what needs to be documented in order to bill fracture care. Doctors have their own words which then becomes a problem because you have to know the doctor, know their verbiage in order to bill correctly. Anyone should be able to read the documentation and know what the provider wants to do: fracture care or office visits. It can go either way but your doctor needs to state what they want. They really need to state that they are "Initiating fracture care". If they don't state that, then you have to guess how to bill: fracture care or office visits.

When I present on fracture care I talk about the need for three things 1. confirmed documentation of a fracture 2. documentation of management of the fracture 3. documentation of a plan of care and follow up. I also suggest to not bill fracture care for nonmanipulative management of pelvis fractures other than the acetabulum or pelvic ring. The "posterior pelvis" is really a pelvic ring fracture thus multiple fractures of the pelvis not a single fracture. It has a zero day global because this code is not recognized by Medicare. Medicare doesn't consider the pelvis to be a bilateral unit so they created G codes to be used instead. Those all have a 90 day global. I am not aware of any fracture that does not have a 90 day global period. They don't have do to the documentation in any special format or form, just be sure to document the above. We also have to remember that no all fractures are treated with a cast. Feel free to email me. luvfeet53@gmail.com