Wiki Clinical Lab Services and 51 modifier

ChrissyMiodrag

Contributor
Best answers
Can one use the 51 modifier with Clinical Lab Services with services that are performed twice in one day..say for example the 36415 or other lab codes?
Thanks
Chrissy

It is not appropriate to use modifier 51 on laboratory codes. If specific tests are being repeated on the same day, you would use modifier 91.:)

Julie Davis

Help!!!

I work for a lab that does very specific drug testing and genetic testing. I am trying to find out if there is a way to put a modifier on our lines of service due to we collect specimens in offices all over the country, but the actual processing and reading of the labs is completed only in Charlotte NC. Does any one know if we are able to put a modifier on it? Thanks

I also work for a lab. Our main lab is in Orlando, Florida but we collect specimens in GA and SC. We do not use a modifier unless there's multiple of the same tests or we send to an outside lab because we cannot perform the test. Our problem comes in with the differences in GA medicare and FL medicare. GA allows some modifiers and FL does not and vice versa. But, we do not use modifiers just because the lab work is sent to us but collected out of state, to answer your question :)