Wiki Clarification on the 2013 codes for all the carotid, cerebral codes

Cathy Casey

Best answers
My co-worker and I have been working on Cath Lab, EP, and Vascular changes for our department for 2013. We are having trouble with the NEW carotid codes. It seems as if being they are all unilateral there will always be a modifier 50 if you do bilateral. Has anyone developed charge sheets and clarification on exactly what each of these codes mean to clinical staff? Does it matter which selection code (1st, 2nd, etc order) is used with the codes? Please any assistance is appreciated

My co-worker and I have been working on Cath Lab, EP, and Vascular changes for our department for 2013. We are having trouble with the NEW carotid codes. It seems as if being they are all unilateral there will always be a modifier 50 if you do bilateral. Has anyone developed charge sheets and clarification on exactly what each of these codes mean to clinical staff? Does it matter which selection code (1st, 2nd, etc order) is used with the codes? Please any assistance is appreciated

My guess is that the RT or LT modifiers will be in effect. There is no selection codes, ie 1st, 2nd or third order. What I think, is that you are looking for where the catheter went and what was imaged, and anything below is bundled into the code. So when the internal carotid is selected and imaged, the common carotid bifurcation and the arch injection, if performed, is bundled into the cerebral code. I still have a question on catheter position for a upper extremity arteriogram. I haven't made any billing sheets, yet.
Thanks,
Jim Pawloski, CIRCC