Wiki Chronic pain

lishakaye

New
Best answers
I'm trying to find out if the dx codes for Chronic pain (ex G89.4), would suffice as the only code if the doctor clearly mentions the site of pain in their note? Should a secondary be attached? Any information is appreciated, thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to find out if the dx codes for Chronic pain (ex G89.4), would suffice as the only code if the doctor clearly mentions the site of pain in their note? Should a secondary be attached? Any information is appreciated, thank you!

There is an entire section in the coding guidelines regarding pain coding. G89.4 is a code for chronic pain syndrome which is different from chronic pain. Chronic pain syndrome must be specifically documented by the provider. If the provider documents chronic pain the you would use a code from the G89.2 category. You do use a second code to indicate either the cause of the pain or the site of the pain.

This was brought to my attention on an audit of my OB-Gyn providers recently for chronic pelvic pain; I didn't assign both G89.29 AND R10.2.

AHG,

CPC, CPMA, CGSC, COBGC

Last edited by a moderator: