Wiki Choosing the Level of Care

Best answers
I am new coder and I want to make sure I am following the Guidelines as CPC. If a provider has a chose CPT-Level of Care that is questionable for a visit, as a coder can I change the Level of care or should I make the recommendation to the provider and have he/she makes the any necessary changes? :eek:

I am new coder and I want to make sure I am following the Guidelines as CPC. If a provider has a chose CPT-Level of Care that is questionable for a visit, as a coder can I change the Level of care or should I make the recommendation to the provider and have he/she makes the any necessary changes?

There are no guidelines on who can make changes and who cannot.

I think that will be an internal policy for your office. But if you think you see a code that is over/under coded, as a coder, I believe you have a responsibility to tell the doctor. Present your arguments and see what happens. If you as a coder can't convince your provider that he/she is under/over coding, and they actually are - then it's time to find a new job.

Doesn't seem like the provider would be caring enough to do it correctly which in turn will cause more problems during an official audit. Bad things can happen.

Is that what you are asking?