Wiki chondroplasty patella and removal of loose body

hlmcintyre

Best answers
Looking for some advice on this orthopedic knee surgery. The physician did a chondroplasty of the right patella but he also did removal of osteohondral fragment and loose body of the rt knee. The osteochondral fragment and loose body was 1 cm x 3 x 4 mm. I know the procedure for the chondroplasty would be 29877. Where the loose body that was removed was 1 cm, can I charge for this even though it was in the inferior pole of the patella (same compartment). There was no separate incision.
Has anyone else come across this? Can i use 29874 with a 51 or 59? Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Last edited:
Looking for some advice on this orthopedic knee surgery. The physician did a chondroplasty of the right patella but he also did removal of osteohondral fragment and loose body of the rt knee. The osteochondral fragment and loose body was 1 cm x 3 x 4 mm. I know the procedure for the chondroplasty would be 29877. Where the loose body that was removed was 1 cm, can I charge for this even though it was in the inferior pole of the patella (same compartment). There was no separate incision.
Has anyone else come across this? Can i use 29874 with a 51 or 59? Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

59 mod since the loose body was greater than 5mm

59 mod since the loose body was greater than 5mm

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it. I know you can bill for a removal of loose body greater than 5 mm but it was in the same compartment. Much appreciated.