Wiki chondroplasty Modifier help Help

RLF03

Best answers
Hi I need some help, not strong in ortho coding yet.. .my doc did a diagnostic arthroscopy with chrondoplasty, but in my report no cartilage was actually remaining and no chondoplasty could be done.
Would I code with a would i code a 29870 +29877 53, or just code the 29870??? Please help!.:eek:

"diagnostic arthroscopy with chrondoplasty, but in my report no cartilage was actually remaining and no chondoplasty could be done"

Your statement is a bit contradictory; if no chondroplasty was actually described in the body of the OP report but it is stated in the heading you can

1. Query the physician to see if the OP report needs an addendum (ie. he forgot something or left something out)
OR
2. Code the diagnostic scope only as that is what is described in the body of the report as what was actually done.

29870 would be appropriate if it was truly a diagnostic scope only, but if a chondroplasty was done it would be 29877

Modifier 53 would not be appropriate here.
Modifier -53 is valid only when a physician elects to terminate a surgical or diagnostic procedure due to extenuating circumstances that threaten the well being of the patient.

Last edited:
I just spoke with him and he update the report. Report reads: The lt knee was preped... Standard anterolateral and superomedial ports were createdand diagnostic arthroscopy was begun. Unfortunately, the undersurface of the patella demonstrated competely grade IV eburnated bone. There was actually no cartilage at all remaining over the vast majority of the patella. Ther was some slight amount inferomedially, but other than that completely eburnated bone was identified. Similarly, there was a well-focused area on the trochlea with the same appearance of eburnated bone. No cartilage was actually remaining and no chondroplasty could be preformed. The lateral compartment had a small area of chondromalacia with some loose frayed cartillage was removed. gade II. Is this last statement the 29877? All I would code is the 29877 right?