Wiki Chemical Cardioversion - what cpt code

hencked

Best answers
:confused:My physician is going to do a preplanned chemical cardioversion in a outpatient hospital setting. I need to pre-auth codes, they called it a cardioversion with Ibutilide infusion. From my research I found it is known as chemical cardioversion. I believe the physican will be infusing the drug. What code or codes can I bill?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Deb H.

It is my understanding the physician wouldn't bill for the infusion portion - that would be billed by the facility. See Debra's response to this question from 2011:

"Physicians can't bill for the infusion therapy itself. Since chemical cardioversion is a procedure that generally takes place in the acute care setting, rather than the office, it is considered a facility charge, not a physician charge. The physician charge is included in the E&M service provided. For the facility, you will bill it as infusion therapy.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H "

And here is the original question: Cardioversion coding

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what is appropriate coding for a chemical cardioversion in the ED? I have a thought but would love other opinions.
Thanks in advance for your response

HTH