Wiki Charging E/M during Post Op

cwilson3333

Expert
Best answers
Can I charge for this visit?

Patient seen 6-19-2013, 2 weeks shy of being out of global surgical care [3-28-2013]
On this visit, he requested his therapist attend visit with him. Here is the dictation:

CC: Follow up left knee

IH: Patient is here today with his therapist. He has some stiffness after sitting. He has been having a click on the medial aspect of the knee when he bends it. This is gradually getting better. It causes a little discomfort.

PE: He has full extension. Lacks 10 degrees of flexion. Mild Swelling and moderate atrophy. Minimal tenderness.

A: Overall, I think he is doing well considering. The main concern is the articular defect in the medial compartment.

P: I went over exercises with the patient and therapist in general. Discussed progression of more functional strengthening on his own. Discussed the fact he may have some persistent pain from the cartilage defect that may require further surgery.

Dr/Transcriber
Date of Surgery

Physical Findings: [given]
Weight
Body mass index
Height

Can I charge 99213-24 , even though visit is related to his surgery, but is still experiencing symptoms and the fact that the therapist attended visit also.