Wiki Chargemaster

valcarr

Best answers
I code ED for my facility and am looking for guidance on developing the chargemaster. What goes into calculating the charges? Do we use only the cost of supplies used or do we include nursing time and the cost of use of the facility? Should anything else be included?

I will try to help but I need a little more information. Are you try to determine the dollar value to assign to each level of service? or are you try to determine what services go into determining the level. I must admit I would be surprised an organization would allow a coder to determine dollar values for charges. We use a point system in our hospital to determine the level of service. It measures nursing activities. examples of activities would be IV starts, blood draws, foley insertions, ono-one monitoring, trauma activations......
As for dollars to assign to a level of service you need the departments, patient accounting and the contract people in the room to determine that.

Hope that helps

I am part of a group of people looking into this chargemaster question. We have representatives from Finance, billing, etc. and I was hoping to get input from other AAPC members while others get information from other sources.
We have established guidelines for levels and their charges.
We are looking into the charges for procedures done in the ED by our physicians that require assistance by the nursing staff. We know that charging for the facility side should include materials used, but think it should include charges for nursing time and use of the facility. Any thoughts?