Wiki Charge Poster Productivity

AuditU

Networker
Best answers
Good afternoon!
Does anyone have any charge posting productivity standards for Primary care?

If you are charge posting for Primary care (barring no issues with technology, records are perfect, etc) what is the normal amount you should be able to post in an 8 hour day?

Thank you!

Well, it really depends on a lot of things--how convoluted is your software process, what fields are pre-filled, do they have to run each charge through a code edit, do they have to create accounts or are those already set up, does the coder have to read from a fee ticket and is it legible, and how many charges have multiple lines? On an average day, my charge posters can post a fee ticket about every 30-45 seconds, depending on the issues above. I'm not a big fan of production work, because it's boring and contributes to errors. But we divide the work and cross train the team so that one person is not responsible for just charge posting. They also do other things...diagnostic coding, report running, etc. My expectation is that the work get done---and it does. I do run management reports that indicate how many claims are unbilled, and my staff is very competitive about making sure that those numbers are down at the end of each month.