Wiki Charge Entry and Retention

CindyGatgens

Best answers
I recently resigned from a job doing charge entry and financial estimates for patients. Although I have billing certification this was the first time I actually got to practice what I learned. I was not told before my 90 day probation period was up that I was not going fast enough. I was apparently expected to complete each charge entry in 4.5 minutes even though some diagnosis codes and procedure codes were missing and sometimes procedure codes were in the wrong order. I feel this is quantity over quality. I also feel I should have been told before the probation period ended so I would have an opportunity to correct any issues which I did do immediately in the first part of my two week notice period. I am currently working on my coding certification, but I'm very discouraged by this experience.

Don't be discouraged. Use this as a learning opportunity for your next position. Instead of waiting for feedback at the end of your probationary experience, be proactive and check in every 2-3 weeks at most. Don't think of this as being "pushy". This is a way of making sure you and the employer are on the same page. Keep going, don't give up! I'm sure there is a great opportunity out there for you. Good luck!

it is frankly up to your employer to inform you if they feel you were not meeting "production standards"; don't let anyone tell you any different. I previously worked for 2 general surgeons. Two months prior to me working for them, they had no biller. So imagine all of that backlog of surgeries to code and bill, hospital rounding, A/R to work, etc... you get my drift.... fast forward 90 days later when I am due for a review and "benefits"; I was terminated because I "wasn't a good fit". I got treated unfairly by them but it only made me want to prove myself and push harder for a better opportunity because I knew that I deserved it. Since then, I am making the highest salary ever in my life, I get 3 weeks' vacation, 14 paid holidays and full benefits. These same doctors ask an acquaintance of mine "how is Teresa doing?" and she is very point blank that I am now involved in a wonderful coding position. Karma exists for a reason.
Don't let this negative experience get you down... as long as you work hard and can "show" this, you'll be fine. Also be sure to point out the mistakes you found which potentially leads to lost revenue or improper claim submission.
Keep on doing your best and being willing to ask questions and learn new things. You'll get noticed eventually!