Wiki Cervical Collar

dms979

Networker
Best answers
I have only been coding Neurosurgery for a year and have a question in regards to the cervical collar. Physician is saying I should be coding for the collar
Do you code for the collar?

Donna M. Schneider CPC

Thank you Ashley,
but the placement of the cervical collar is after a cervical fusion I just think this falls under a HCPC code and wouldn't the hospital bill for the collar instead of the physician?

I think you just answered your own question. The hospital would bill for the collar and the placement of the collar would be included in the global service package.

You can bill for the collars, you just have to make sure you give the collar to the patient after surgery. We have them in our office and the Physician Assistant takes it to the patient. With Medicare, you have to enroll as a DME supplier.

Per DME if your surgeon is suppling the brace it can be fitted up to 24hrs before the patient is discharged home and your date of service would be the discharge date. If the patient is discharged from the hospital and admitted (same day) in a inpatient stay at a SNF or Rehab facility you can bill the hospital for the brace. But he has to be enrolled as a DME supplier with medicare. Make sure your place of service is 12 for home.