Wiki Certified Medical Coder and Biller

Best answers
Recently graduated (12/2017) Medical Coder and Biller through Penn Foster. I have applied to several jobs but have had no luck. Everyone is asking for 2-5 years of experience. As far as Project Xtern, I'm assuming that they do not have any businesses that work with Project Xtern in my area, because there are no search results. Am I doing something wrong? I can I gain experience if I don't get hired?

A suggestion

Hi there. I see this situation commonly and have found that it's much easier for someone to go from - say receptionist or scribe - to coder than to go from coding course to coder. If you have no work experience at all working in healthcare, have you considered taking a different, entry-level position just to get your foot in the door and build relationships?

Medical coder and biller

Recently graduated (12/2017) Medical Coder and Biller through Penn Foster. I have applied to several jobs but have had no luck. Everyone is asking for 2-5 years of experience. As far as Project Xtern, I'm assuming that they do not have any businesses that work with Project Xtern in my area, because there are no search results. Am I doing something wrong? I can I gain experience if I don't get hired?

I'm afraid that, unless you are also certified, completion of a coding and billing course isn't really worth the paper it's written on.
Sorry to be so blunt but it is the reality I'm afraid. So....get your CPC first, then try to get your foot in the door by maybe doing data entry or A/R follow-up or making appointments in a doctor's office. Anything to gain some relevant experience.
In reality, coders looking for that first job, even with a certification, do not find it easy; many coders thought there would be a ton of new jobs when ICD-10 came in because it was predicted that many coders would retire. Doesn't seem to have happened though.
Good luck anyway.