Wiki Certification value

Best answers
Many of the managers responsible for hiring and training are AAPC members and have multiple certifications. Is it possible they do not respect our certification when considering an applicant for entry level positions? This is a sincere and honest question.
thanks
Robert Sasser

Many of the managers responsible for hiring and training are AAPC members and have multiple certifications. Is it possible they do not respect our certification when considering an applicant for entry level positions? This is a sincere and honest question.
thanks
Robert Sasser

What do you mean is the possible they do not respect our certification? Maybe it's because of my location, but anytime I see a job posting CPC is at least highly preferred, if not required. In fact, a lot of the jobs I see prefer AHIMA. I would say that certifications are very respected.

The problem with entry level is that you're untested and a lot of places don't want to trust untested people with their cash flow, they prefer experienced people that also have a certification.

Yes you are right about the cash flow. That makes it very difficult for new grads to get entry level jobs. At least AAPC has the externship program and AHIMA does have a mentor/mentee program. I am going to look into both.

Last edited:
Back when I hired coders and billers, I always preferred someone without a lot of experience. Certificaiton is important as it shows that you have the information and know how to code. But a lack of experience to me was a great way to bring in someone who didn't have a lot of preconceived ideas about how a medical practice runs. Every group is different and I would rather have someone that we could train to our method, than someone who was very set in their ways and maybe wouldn't be amenable to doing something differently. Don't give up in your job search. I don't think finding a job is any easier with experience these days. Sell yourself on your passion and other great qualities and use the certification as a supplemental bonus to your new employer. Don't look at certification as a guarantee of employment.

Thank you Cheryl! Your words mean a lot and give me hope that I can make this happen. I will let you know when it does!!:)

That's an interesting point, Cheryl; thank you for sharing your perspective!

I think it's also worth noting that there is a lot of adjustment and reorganization going on in many practices these days, partly due to ICD-10 and partly due to adoption of electronic records. Also, sometimes one company acquires another or merges, and that can change the way work is performed across the board, coding included.

I think I benefitted from a merger and reorganization at my current place of employment, when I was hired. I like to think my credentials and my enthusiasm played a big part, too, though!

Hello,

Somebody just mentioned externship program. Is there someone with CPC-A who participated in this program and would like to share his experience?
I really has trouble to find entry position in NY City area without 1 (mostly 2) years of experience in the field.
I feel growing frustration in the field of new CPC-A coders. Hope somebody succeeded!

Thank you, Dasha