Wiki central line

alices

Guru
Best answers
Hope someone can help, All my Dr. says is pt here to have his central line sutured in place (Rt Internal Jugular) placed 3 nylon sutures, this was done in the ER, pt is on dialysis, not sure on what procedure code to use can I use the 12001? or some other procedure code, any and all help is appreciated..thanks alice

re-central line

Hi everyone I am posting this as well again, I really need to know if the doctor sutures the central line or dialysis cath to the skin(er dr) what code would I look to? on one he placed 3 simp sutures and now I have another chart where he just says suture to reinforce cath..thank you.. alice

i agree with tessa. i would bill the e/m. plus, depending on what type of line (tunneled or non tunneled) there is a 10 day global period. a tunneled line carries a 10 day global.

bridget
CPC, CMRS

Definitely NOT tunneled

I would look into the tunneling of the central line codes....

thanks, Sue

A tunneled CVL requires a surgeon making a tunnel beneath the skin/subq tissues through which they thread the line. This is definitely NOT what is described by simply placing suture(s) to hold the line in place.

From the very limited information given by the original poster, I do not see documentation of a "repair" (even a simple repair). But then we may not have the full note.

Hope that helps.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC