Wiki CC

Best answers
I am in the process of reviewing pt charts and I am noticing that 90% of the time our Dr's are not stating a CC they just start right in with a HPI. From everything I have read "ALL" E/M's must have a CC listed even if it's simply follow - up to xyz correct?

OK, so here is an example of E/M's that are bothering me:

The office visit started at 1:30 and finished at 1:45. The patient is a 74-year-old female who was initially seen for bright red blood per rectum. She has undergone a banding of her internal hemorrhoids, as well as a screening colonoscopy which showed some diverticulosis and internal hemorrhoids, but no other abnormalities. She comes in today with minimal complaints. She states her high-fiber diet has been working well. Her stooling is much more comfortable, but she has not completely resolved her constipation. She has a noticeable difference if she has decreased her fiber intake with how much constipation she experiences. She is moving her bowels once a day. She denies any nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain.

To me this note does not have a concise CC... Would this be acceptable in an audit? Thank you for your help!!

The office visit started at 1:30 and finished at 1:45. The patient is a 74-year-old female who was initially seen for bright red blood per rectum. She has undergone a banding of her internal hemorrhoids, as well as a screening colonoscopy which showed some diverticulosis and internal hemorrhoids, but no other abnormalities. She comes in today with minimal complaints. She states her high-fiber diet has been working well. Her stooling is much more comfortable, but she has not completely resolved her constipation. She has a noticeable difference if she has decreased her fiber intake with how much constipation she experiences. She is moving her bowels once a day. She denies any nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain.

As per my knowledge i would consider CC as Constipation with DX Code series 564.??, you can see the bolded text in the above para which makes her worry and leads to a visit.

I agree with Naveen, but as a 'best practice' I would strongly advise your provider to clearly state the chief complaint. It should be clear if they are here to follow-up on their chronic condition, evaluation of an acute condition, or a preventative routine visit.