Wiki CC and HPI

Lynda Wetter

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Recently sat in a webinar where the speaker had said you can use "patient complains of cough" as both the CC and Associates signs & symptoms....
Can someone please explain how that statement is an ASSOCIATED sign and symptom of its self??? Because an associated sign and symptom is an associated sign and symptom of the CC?
RIGHT? im confused on this one. :confused:

I have to agree with you on this. I have always been told to never double dip. and that the HPI relates to the CC. Hopefully the speaker can give up a source for this nugget of information.

my CEMC study guide says
"Associated signs & symptoms: The patients statements regarding associated SECONDARY complaints. For example, the patient has a sore throat and runny nose, the patient has abdominal pain but no nausea or vomiting, or the patient has a fever and is pulling at her ears."
Guess i answered my own question. This webinar was for a specific Jurisdiction, I know they can have their own qwerky quidelines, like which modifiers they want and stuff like that,but I didnt think they could munipulate the guidelines in such a way like that.
:(

Thanks, I think for my exam I will stick to what I know and have learnd from the CMS website & 95, 97 DG's and my study guide. And block out all other "tweaks" in local guidelines. Makes the process very frustrating!

CC and associated sign and symptoms are completely different so you can not consider CC as associated S & S.

CC is reason for the encounter of patient while Associated S & S are the conditions associated with CC whether they are present or not

example patient is here for cough. [CC ] He also complaints of having sore throat [ A. S & S ]
OR Patient complaints of abdominal pain[ CC ] , no N/V [ A. S & S ]

Abhishek rane