Wiki Catheterization included with stenting

Best answers
Beginning April 1, 2011 per CCI, cpt code 93458 is now inclusive to 92980, but will allow modifier -59. My question is.....under what circumstances would modifier -59 be appropriate? What would constitute the cath procedure as a distict procedure in relation to the stenting? I don't like to use this modifier freely and need the information to back up using this modifier. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

:eek:

Beginning April 1, 2011 per CCI, cpt code 93458 is now inclusive to 92980, but will allow modifier -59. My question is.....under what circumstances would modifier -59 be appropriate? What would constitute the cath procedure as a distict procedure in relation to the stenting? I don't like to use this modifier freely and need the information to back up using this modifier. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

:eek:

in a nutshell....It must be truly diagnostic in nature meaning, the condition or severity of the condition was not known until the heart cath was performed, thus neccessitating the intervention.

HTH :)