Wiki Catheterizaiotn of Spinal Arteries

lorabelk

Best answers
Good Afternoon,
I'm tyring to understand appropriate coding of catheterization and use of 36215, 36217,36245 and 36246. If a spinal artery was viewed is the corresponding intercotal artery is in fact coded what is being coded for? The intercostals are part of the Vascular Family order as per Appendix in the CPT, however, the spinal arteries are not there. Dr. Z's reference states that the code should correspond with where the catheter tip ends up. If that happens to be a spinal artery and they are not classified on the Vascular Family chart then the next closest vnatage point is the intercostals. :confused:
Very interesting but very confusing also.
any thoughts?
Thank you,
Lora B.

Good Afternoon,
I'm tyring to understand appropriate coding of catheterization and use of 36215, 36217,36245 and 36246. If a spinal artery was viewed is the corresponding intercotal artery is in fact coded what is being coded for? The intercostals are part of the Vascular Family order as per Appendix in the CPT, however, the spinal arteries are not there. Dr. Z's reference states that the code should correspond with where the catheter tip ends up. If that happens to be a spinal artery and they are not classified on the Vascular Family chart then the next closest vnatage point is the intercostals. :confused:
Very interesting but very confusing also.
any thoughts?
Thank you,
Lora B.

The intercostal arteries are the spinal arteries. Use 36215 above the diaphram (c/t spine) and 36245 below (L spine).

HTH :)

Great news

Thank you Danny!
Those are the codes that were used so we are good. An outside auditor was contesting them so I'm sending that auditor a bit of vascular anatomy (I'm a hospital auditor) to prove your point. You're a brave soul to have a CIRCC. I'm not that brave just yet!
Lora B.