Wiki Carpal tunnel release/epidural steriod injection

dosobill

Contributor
Best answers
:eek::eek: HEEELLLLPPPP :eek::eek:

I have a provider who did a carpal tunnel release (29848) and transforaminal epidural steroid injection right and left side (64483) on the same day of service. When it was bill it was billed as

29848 RT 59----This one line was paid
64483 RT
64483 LT

The 64483's were then denied stating this procedure is not paid separately and service not payable with other service rendered on the same date.

I told another employee that I am not resubmitting the 64483 with 59 because according to the ncci edits it is not allowed.

Am I correct??? Please HELP ASAP

Thank you in advance for the help

Last edited:
I will try and see if the payer denied it again. Sometime there is cci that are not exclusive and accept 59. now honestly I don t know if you can but I made a rule in the office one 1 procedure per day otherwise first the payer pays only one procedure full fee schedule then 50% the second or you get into the bundling issue. But in you case you should be able to bill with 59 the cci should pretent on two spine interventions on the same day not on a spine and upper limb injections.

You are correct, according to NCCI edits 64483 is a column two code to 29848 with a modifier indicator of zero (modifier not allowed).

So it is incorrect to bill these codes together because they shouldn't be performed on the same date of service, according to the NCCI edits.