Wiki Carotid Angioplasty - Vascular surgeon

svevans3

Networker
Best answers
Please help: Vascular surgeon performed carotid angiogram and discovered in-stent stenosis of the external carotid artery. At that time he decided to perform angioplasty of external carotid artery. Please help with coding of carotid angioplasty. Thanks in advance for your time in this matter.

There is not a code for this. There is a code for carotid stent...

Carotid Angioplasty and Carotid Stent Insertion
The stent codes include angioplasty within the stent target zone, so angioplasty is not coded separately. For example, code 37215 includes both carotid angioplasty and carotid stent insertion. In fact, there is no CPT code for carotid angioplasty without stenting; this procedure is generally not covered.

In addition to stent placement and angioplasty, codes 37215 and 37216 include all ipsilateral selective carotid catheterization, and angiography.

Note that carotid stent placement without the use of distal embolic protection is also generally not covered.

Yes I saw 37215 but no stent was placed in this case. Speaking with someone else they suggest I use code 61630, are you familiar with that code?

Yes I saw 37215 but no stent was placed in this case. Speaking with someone else they suggest I use code 61630, are you familiar with that code?

I can see why they would suggest that code, however, I don't think it's appropriate. 37215 is specifically for the carotid artery, while 61630 is for intracranial, and to me, carotid is not intracranial; I think cerebral when I think intracranial. Maybe I just need fresh perspective.

Query your physician, ask him if what he did could be explained by CPT 61630, and if not, maybe consider a 22. As long as the documentation reflects increased procedural service.

HTH