Wiki Canpc

pajohnson

Guru
Best answers
Hi All,
I am going to be taking this certification soon, and I was wondering what is the best "of your choice recource" that you wish you could have taken to the test?

Also any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

When I took the CANPC, I didn't take any extra reference book. I didn't miss not having an extra reference book either.

If you have some experience in coding anesthesia you'll do fine. I had 10 yrs of anesthesia and pain medicine coding when I took it and I didn't think it was too bad. I worked backwards..I read the questions first and then read the op reports to find the answers. I remember using my relative value guide the most.

Kim

reference of choice for CANPC

Hi - I brought along my boss's medical dictionary. I referenced it for three questions. The BEST ADVICE I can provide is to crosswalk your CPT book. I am unsure how acclimated you are coding anesthesia, but being a newbie with 6 months under my belt I knew time would be my biggest down fall. I took two entire evenings and crosswalked my entire CPT book. Which means I wrote the anesthesia codes along side each of the CPT codes in my book. I also wrote the most common procedure codes and the crosswalks that I code the most as a reference for a quick "at a glance view" and tabbed that page also.
Dana Chock CPC, CCA, CANPC, CHONC
Anesthesia, Pathology, and Laboratory Coder

ps - even if you crosswalk your CPT book you will still want to bring your crosswalk just in case. I wrote many valuable notes in the first few pages of my book.

Thank you so much. I think that crosswalking my CPT book is a great idea. That will save on time. Are there any good webinars out there to watch?
I little concerned with pain management. Any other suggestions?
Thanks again:)