Wiki cancer in remission

loflores

Best answers
I am stumped! I can't seem to find an ICD-9 code for breast cancer in remission. Does anyone know where to look? Thanks!

Personal History of cancer

On the lines of cancer remission can someone direct me where I can find the definition of personal history of cancer.
I have some physician's that are telling me a pt has history of cancer and the order I see states pt has cancer. Now the physician's are looking for the definition of when a pt can be diagnosed as history of cancer.

Is it after 1 year of remission?

You would code history of breast cancer when the patient no longer takes any form of treatment for the disease. If the patient is taking chemo/radiation or if they are taking tamoxifen or any other by mouth drug for the cancer, you will code as current cancer. This can be tricky if you have a physician who is not the best at documentation. The patient could be four yrs out from cancer surgery but still be considered current due to the fact they are taking tamoxifen or other drugs. Hope this helps.

Check out the Aftercare codes as well. If you read the ICD-9 guidelines (In the V-Codes chapter), it will tell you when to use them. This kind of sounds like it would qualify as aftercare, but I don't usually code oncology, so I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Any Other Drug??

Would you consider Arimodex as treatment? The patient is cancer free for 2 years but still on Arimodex...

Thanks!

Amg

Yes, Arimidex( anastrazole) is a form of treatment usually given for 5 years.
They would sometimes document Er( Estrogen receptor) status when providers give the medication..