Wiki Can you bill a OB Hospitalist initial H&P for routine delivery

slc8a8

New
Best answers
Patient is in labor, OB Hospitalist (not a regular internal medicine hospitalist) admits a patient to labor and delivery from triage or from the OBED depending if the hospital has one. No other problems being managed but the OB Hospitalist does the H&P and the primary OB delivers the baby. Would that be billed as admit 99221-99223 even though the admission H&P is included and the primary OB is billing the global and receiving payment? The primary OB and the OB hospitalist is not part of the same group practice and I am not sure without some kind management outside the global package would justify the medical necessity of unbundling.

Any thoughts comments would be appreciated. I have scanned the forum but couldn't find if this has been answered before. I could find similar questions but not answered.

Thanks in advance.

Sara

Patient is in labor, OB Hospitalist (not a regular internal medicine hospitalist) admits a patient to labor and delivery from triage or from the OBED depending if the hospital has one. No other problems being managed but the OB Hospitalist does the H&P and the primary OB delivers the baby. Would that be billed as admit 99221-99223 even though the admission H&P is included and the primary OB is billing the global and receiving payment? The primary OB and the OB hospitalist is not part of the same group practice and I am not sure without some kind management outside the global package would justify the medical necessity of unbundling.

Any thoughts comments would be appreciated. I have scanned the forum but couldn't find if this has been answered before. I could find similar questions but not answered.

Thanks in advance.

Sara
Payment will be decided by the payer so you can try and bill. However, usually there is some kind of agreement between admitting OB's and hospitalist groups on what to do in this case so you might want to check on it. If the regular OB has been paid, insurance may decide to deny.