Wiki Can we bill an MVA claim to regular health insurance?

izsaba16

Best answers
Hi everyone,

I could use a little assistance with this situation. I was hired straight out of school with no experience, and I'm the sole person handling billing at my workplace, with a semi-understanding of it. We have a patient who was involved in a motor vehicle accident. They're opting not to use any PIP funds because they have legal representation, and the at-fault party isn't accepting responsibility.

Anyway, my question is: Can I bill their regular health insurance? They're covered under a Medicare Advantage plan. I've done some research but haven't found recent information, so I'm still uncertain. If I do bill their regular health insurance, would I still include all the details I would on a MVA claim? (Date of accident, State where it occurred, etc).

Thank you!

Hello ,

I believe you would bill it as normal because patient doesn't have the information from the other party. If or when the patient does get the insurance information then he can submit the information, otherwise his insurance on file gets billed. If the other party end up being at fault they will go back to the date of the accident and reimburse/pay for all visits related to the MVA. I hope this helps !