Wiki Can surgeon bill for admission after surgery with a 90 day global.

msimmonsl

New
Best answers
I have patients who have been admitted overnight, whether it was planned (booked for 23-hr observation) or unplanned (admitted for pain control, N/V)…what charges should I be filling out for these patients, if any?
These are Ortho docs. and the global on the surgeries they do are 90 days. I dont believe they can bill for anything but the surgery.
Pleae advise,

I have patients who have been admitted overnight, whether it was planned (booked for 23-hr observation) or unplanned (admitted for pain control, N/V)…what charges should I be filling out for these patients, if any?
These are Ortho docs. and the global on the surgeries they do are 90 days. I dont believe they can bill for anything but the surgery.
Pleae advise,

Medicare will not pay for complications that do not require a return trip to the OR.
I have found may commercial payors follow this as well.
You would have to put a modifier on it to get it paid - modifier would have to be "24" - can you truly say it is unrelated?

Medicare will not pay for complications that do not require a return trip to the OR.
I have found may commercial payors follow this as well.
You would have to put a modifier on it to get it paid - modifier would have to be "24" - can you truly say it is unrelated?

I agree you really need justification for the 24 mod. If it's there you can capture - if not part of global and not billable..