Wiki Can MA insert needle for PTNS?

toria11

Guru
Best answers
Does anyone have any info/references that state a physician or APP must be the one to insert the needle or can an MA/RN do it?

Thanks,

This is probably less of a coding question and more of a state practice act/MA scope of practice or specific payer policy question.
My guess is MA cannot but RN probably can.

Thanks. That's what I thought as well, but I think if trained and supervised by a physician they can do other things not specifically listed? For example, our MAs do cath changes even though it's not specifically listed in the statutes since it's kind of vague and says "Assisting with patient examinations or treatments." I found so much conflicting info in my search too. An old AAPC article said nurses can insert the needle under direct supervision of a Dr (no mention of MAs) and then an AUA article from 2022 said PTNS has a "personal supervision" designation meaning the Dr has to be in the room (but no other source said this or mentions this designation).

It seems odd, because patients can be trained to do it at home (I believe?) so, seems like an MA could if supervised? I am not schooled in this or an expert. I think it might be something to reach out to possibly your practice attorney/compliance and maybe if the MA belongs to the AAMA they could ask. Or, go to the state board and/or specific payer.