Wiki Can light box be performed by a medical assistant when there is no provider on site?

light box billing

No, the MA is not a billable provider. If you are billing under the physician, he/she must be within the office suite.

What if we are not billing? Or billing to an insurance that does not use incident to rules? In other words, is this a service that can be provided without a physician present to supervise assuming there are no billing problems created by this?

This will probably run afoul of scope of practice laws and/or cause legal issues with malpractice insurance for example.

I'm sure you will find similar laws in your state but in Massachusetts, direct supervision is required:

"Certified medical assistant'', an individual who: (i) has graduated from a post-secondary medical assisting education program accredited by the committee on allied health education and accreditation of the American Medical Association or its successor, the Accrediting Bureau of Health Education Schools or its successor or another certificate program that the commissioner of public health may approve; (ii) is employed in the medical practice of a licensed primary care provider; and (iii) performs basic administrative, clerical, and clinical duties upon the specific authorization and under the direct supervision of a licensed primary care provider.

Arizona: https://www.azleg.gov/ars/32/01456.htm

[FONT=&quot] medical assistant may perform the following medical procedures under the direct supervision of a doctor of medicine, physician assistant or nurse practitioner:[/FONT]

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it, or bill for it. If your malpractice insurer found out, they'd drop you. As others have stated, this may even fall out the scope of licensure for MAs in your state.

Definitely ONLY do this with a provider on site.

What if something goes wrong? Who is there to intervene that is a trained medical professional (MD, PA, NP)?