Wiki can I code a new pt ov twice?

HCC12345

Networker
Best answers
I have a doctor in my clinic that has two specialties; rheumatology and allergy. If he saw a patient for the first time for rheumatology only and the same patient came back to see him for allergy only can the office charge another new patient? They have been and it didn't sound right so, I need clarification!!!!

No you can't. Even if the patient sees any other provider in that practice for any other reason, you can only charge one new ov for that patient, for that practice. Doctors have a pysician number assigned to them and that is what the payers look at. Even thought the doc has more than one specialty, he always bills under the same upin #, and since the patient is seen in the same office, by the same doctor, even if for different reasons, then you can not charge two new ov. Not unless there has been a three year period between visits to this practice.
I know this probably sounds confusing, so I hope I explained it correctly. My appolgies if not. I'm sure there is someone else in this forum that will be able to be more specific regarding this rule.

I just came on board this practice and, I am cleaning up the coding errors. I knew you couldn't but, I needed confirmation! Thank you LTibbetts!