Wiki Can a Physician Charge an H&P and Discharge on same date?

dmcopel@hotmail.com

Contributor
Best answers
My question is:

Can a Physician charge for a H & P and a Observation Discharge on the Same Date of Service?

Our Patient was Admitted to OBS on Saturday at 9:00 PM. Our Doctor 1st saw the Patient on Sunday - Did H & P and later that day discharged the Patient.

Can I charge code 99234-99236; or do I charge H & P and then discharge; or do i do just discharge????

Thanks in advance for this help!!!

your provider can only bill a discharge from observation if he was the one that admitted pt into obserrvation.
Otherwise bill an outpatient 9921X code.... I had to edit this post... I think I need fresh air... :D

Last edited:
My question is:

Can a Physician charge for a H & P and a Observation Discharge on the Same Date of Service?

Our Patient was Admitted to OBS on Saturday at 9:00 PM. Our Doctor 1st saw the Patient on Sunday - Did H & P and later that day discharged the Patient.

Can I charge code 99234-99236; or do I charge H & P and then discharge; or do i do just discharge????

Thanks in advance for this help!!!

Hello,

Just a couple of questions for you before I answer: Who admitted the patient on Saturday or is the admission on Saturday where the ED physician wrote the order to admit? Was your doctor the attending for the patient or was he/she a consultant?

Thank you