Wiki C Delivery Cosurgeons

Partha

Expert
Best answers
If co surgeons perform C delivery and one surgeon is responsible for antepartum and postpartum as well, how they bill for their services.

59510-62 surgeon who does delivery, antepartum, & postpartum

59514-62 surgeon who does delivery only

....but it looks like mod 62 is not allowed with 59510

Responses eagerly awaited!

Thanks!

C Delivery Co-surgeons

I am not sure if that is absolutely not possible - what if the delivery is extremely complicated and/or involves delivery of more than one fetus....?

I would have to agree with Lisa, in the 6 years I have coded OB/GYN, I have never coded a co-surgeon for c-section delivery. It would have to be very obvious in the operative note and both surgeons would have to agree and code the same.

Take a look at the definition of modifier -62. Both surgeons have to work together as primary surgeons performing distinct parts of a procedure. I have never seen a c/s coded as a co-surgery. Only primary and assistant. If the c/s is substantially more difficult and supported by documentation, the primary surgeon could us modifier -22; even in a multiple birth situation.

Thanks!

Thanks for sharing your experiences - I was looking at it more on a coding perspective, ignoring the clinical aspect.