Wiki Brestfeeding Problems

Best answers
I am a new coder for Pediatrics and I have a CRNP who has been coding Brestfeeding counseling as a 99213. She spends 30min to an hour with each visit. They want to bill 99214 because of the time spent but to me 99213 is pushing it.

If they document the baby problems, time spent face to face...do they bill by the time spent and can bill the 99214? to me these are straightforward problems but take a lot of time. HELP please....

:confused:

As long as your NP is spending more than 50% of face to face time counseling on breastfeeding, you can bill for the entire time. If it's an hour, you would bill a 99215 or a 99205. You must have a diagnosis, which I'm guessing would be feeding disorder. In addition, the counseling must be documented in the chart. Our NPs who are lactation consultants document the total time, the time spent counseling, and the subject of the counseling.

Hope this helps.

Thank you so much! Its seem weird that because it is so straightforward, to be able to charge a 99214/99215 etc. Thank you for the help and will have to check how much they are documenting and will have to get started on the face to face time and counseling time it they are not. Thank you!