Wiki breast exam

TCarrasco

Contributor
Best answers
Is a routine breast exam part of an office visit? The situation that came up was a pt came in for a diabetic follow up then mentioned to the provider that she felt a lump in her breast. The provider then did the breast exam on the pt.Is there a seperate cpt code for this or would it be part of the visit?
Any info would be greatly appreciated!!:confused:

Thanks!

There is no separate CPT code for a Breast Exam. However, the provider would use the additional history, breast exam and any additional medical decision making to determine which level of E/M he is going to bill.

Now, there is a HCPCS code S0613 Annual gynecological examination; clinical breast examination without pelvic examination. Not all carriers recognize or even use this code.

If the patient felt a lump in the breast then it is likely not a routine breast exam. This needs to be documented and considered for the level of E/M as Angela already mentioned. Also make sure to include the proper ICD-9 code on your claim.

In this case I would include this as part of the office visit. Use dx code V76.10 for the breast exam.

If the provider completed a gyn exam, then in that case you can bill a preventive plus exam.

I agree it is inclusive with the office visit. I would code it as a breast mass/lump. I would not use V76.10.