Wiki Breast Coding

cintam12

Contributor
Best answers
A patient with a hx of carcinoma in situ of the breast recently had bilateral nipple-sparing mastectomies. Once the pathology test came back it stated the margins were benign with fibrocystic changes. What are the propper icd codes I should use with this case?

If patient is still on any kind of treatment for cancer then it should be coded as current. But if patient in not under any treatment then it should be coded as history V10.3.

''breast recently had bilateral nipple-sparing mastectomies''

question is Recently means when if it is less than Six months still we can't code as history,

If more than six months please correlation with medication or on going treatment for cancer this also we can't code as history

based on documentation code current or history cancer

When breast carcinoma in situ is no longer being treated, do you use the
V10.3 for history of DCIS? I was using this code and realized that it applies to history of conditions classifiable to 174 and 175. DCIS is 233.0. There is a note that states use V13.89 for DCIS.

A patient with a hx of carcinoma in situ of the breast recently had bilateral nipple-sparing mastectomies. Once the pathology test came back it stated the margins were benign with fibrocystic changes. What are the propper icd codes I should use with this case?

The patient has a history of having has ca in situ of the breast. Once ca in situ is excised then it no longer exists and there is no need to perform any additional surgery to check the margins. So the question is why did the provider perform the current procedure.