Wiki Blood Question-Not really coding....

Tara0513

Networker
Best answers
This is not a coding question. I will also post this in the billing & reimbursement forum, but I thought I would post here as well.

I was asked by our chemistry department this question, and I am unsure of the answer:

"When we test specimens for Glucose, we only test for A1C if a doctor has ordered it. Some labs have a policy of automatically checking for A1C if glucose is high. Will we be paid to start testing A1C if the glucose is high without a doctor's order?"

Is it required for the ordering provider to request A1C when ordering for glucose to be tested? Can it be at the discretion of the lab to run A1C if they see a need due to high level of glucose?

I appreciate any help.

Hello Tara0513
May I ask if your healthcare facility utilizes a laboratory catalog?
I have reviewed laboratory catalogs (not specifically on hemoglobin) but other laboratory tests and sometimes when the results are out of the normal range "a reflex" will happen.
Another laboratory test is performed because of that abnormal laboratory value that was resulted.
When a laboratory test has been "reflexed", and another laboratory test is performed it is still under the original umbrella.
That is where you will need to find out if a "reflex" has occurred here or not.
I am hopeful I provided some insight on what may be happening and if that is not the case, please let me know.
If anyone else has advice on how their healthcare facility deals with glucose, please provide additional insight.
Thank you,
Dana