Wiki Blitz videos- hopsital discharge summary

MidwestCoder

Networker
Best answers
Hello,

I ordered the blitz videos and was taking notes onthe section about Hopsital discharges. She talks about Only the Admitting Physician can use the discharge then she was talking about Any other physcian other than the admitting provider would code a subsequent vist.Can anyone please clarify this please?

Thank you
Debi

I believe you are asking about the comments Laureen Jandroep makes on the
Blitz Review videos regarding Hospital Discharge Service codes, 99238 and 99239.

Only the admitting (i.e. attending/ ordering) physician is allowed to use these codes. This is because of the note - under 99239 - that says "to report concurrent care services provided by a physician other that the ordering physician or another qualified health care professional, use subsequent hospital care codes [99231 - 99233] on the day of discharge."

So only the admitting physician can use 99238 or 99239. Another physician giving care on the day of discharge, needs to code from 99231 - 99233.

BTW, another rule you must be mindful of says that if admission and discharge is on the same day, the attending physician would use a code from 99234 -99236 which encompasses both the admission and discharge.

Hopefully, this helps.