Wiki Billing voiding trial (51701) after bladder sling 57288

Karajag

Contributor
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Good afternoon,

Can anyone advise if you are able to bill a voiding trial after a patient undergoes a bladder sling? I can't find definitive information on this and I have one person saying yes you can bill this, and another that feels you can't.

52 y/o female who is 1 day s/p TVT sling performed on 1/22/24. Her postoperative course has been uncomplicated. She denies any complaints today. Her pain is well-controlled on Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen.

Voiding Trial:
200 cc instilled
200cc voided

Assessment and plan:
1. Postoperative visit, recovering well and passed voiding trial. Foley discontinued
2. Urge incontinence - Discontinue Tolterodine and begin Gentessa. Samples of Gemtesa provided. Will write script and assiss if prior auth is required
3. Hypervascularity and small bladder lesion - noted during cystoscopy yesterday. Plan for repeat in-office cystoscopy in 3 months. Discussed urology referral.

Follow up: 1 week for postoperative visit

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Good afternoon,

Can anyone advise if you are able to bill a voiding trial after a patient undergoes a bladder sling? I can't find definitive information on this and I have one person saying yes you can bill this, and another that feels you can't.

52 y/o female who is 1 day s/p TVT sling performed on 1/22/24. Her postoperative course has been uncomplicated. She denies any complaints today. Her pain is well-controlled on Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen.

Voiding Trial:
200 cc instilled
200cc voided

Assessment and plan:
1. Postoperative visit, recovering well and passed voiding trial. Foley discontinued
2. Urge incontinence - Discontinue Tolterodine and begin Gentessa. Samples of Gemtesa provided. Will write script and assiss if prior auth is required
3. Hypervascularity and small bladder lesion - noted during cystoscopy yesterday. Plan for repeat in-office cystoscopy in 3 months. Discussed urology referral.

Follow up: 1 week for postoperative visit

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
There is nothing to preclude billing for it in the rules, but you will need to add a modifier -58 to the code as you are in postop period. The payer will decide whether to bundle or not. If you are performing this routinely on all patients who have had a TVT do not be surprised if the payer eventually decides to bill it as your postop routine after this surgery.

There is nothing to preclude billing for it in the rules, but you will need to add a modifier -58 to the code as you are in postop period. The payer will decide whether to bundle or not. If you are performing this routinely on all patients who have had a TVT do not be surprised if the payer eventually decides to bill it as your postop routine after this surgery.
Thank you so much for this!