Wiki Billing to Vision Insurance

Best answers
I'm wondering if anyone works at an optometrists office that does not take vision insurance. VSP and Eyemed reimburse so low that its almost not worth it but we are worried that if we say we no longer take it we will lose a significant part of our business. We are looking for any advice on how other offices managed to get around this problem.

Out of Network (OON)

Many offices are now going OON and dropping these low paying VCPs. There are some on line systems available which will give you the patient benefits for some of the VCPs. I can't remember their names right now but if one of your ODs signs up to belong to "ODs on Facebook" there's lots of discussion about this with specifics of how many offices are doing this.

Realize that your records will still be subject to audit even if you file OON. Also, be sure that these VCPs you accept are not linked to major medical insurance plans. In some states, you have to accept a particular VCP in order to be a provider for a major medical plan. However, many states have passed laws which prohibit the major medical plans from requiring you to also accept a VCP in order to be a provider. Check with your state optometric association about this.

I will tell you that if you drop a VCP, there is no way you will keep all of those patients, even if you have cared for them for years and they love your doctors and staff. Many patients will desert for the sake of that $10 copay. Also, you won't retain more of them by offering them a special discount. Unless you're in California, most offices that I've spoken to about dropping the VCPs will tell you that they may have fewer patients but they also have much less stress and their net incomes increase.

Tom Cheezum, O.D., CPC, COPC