Wiki billing service vs clinic coder

solocoder

Expert
Best answers
I've had a call back on an application I submitted to a billing service. I've only worked in a clinic and was hoping to get some words of wisdom from others who work/have worked for a billing service before I return their call. What are the advantages and disadvantages of a billing service vs clinic? Any specific questions I should ask of them before making a decison?

Appreciate any advice!

I am currently a biller (taking my CPC exam next week!) and I have worked both in the office setting and the billing service setting. With the office setting, you have access to your provider almost immediately if you have a question of concern. In the billing service, you need to email and/or call someone in the office to get with the provider to answer your question and/or concern. You need to have a really good working relationship with your contact person in the office. Hard to say which I prefer. The office setting is nice because you almost get instant access to your records whereas the billing service, you have to pend more items waiting for a reply.

You may want to ask what their turn around time is to get an answer to you.
Who will be your point of contact in the office....office manager? Nursing manager? Someone else?
Can you speak/meet with the provider directly, whether a weekly conference call or email?
What is the preferred method of contact, email? phone?
What is the turn around time for them to get the records to you to code?
Do they expect the coding to come back in 24 hours? 48 hours?

Good luck!

I have worked in both and both have their pros and cons.

I am currently a dept trainer in a medium sized 3rd party billing company but started as one of their in-office production coders. We work with multiple physician groups and multiple facilities around our state. Previously I worked on-site at a large 5 specialty residency program based practice.

I found having access to the providers, nurses, and other ancillary a pro and a con because while it helped me get charts completed (sometimes), it was a two way street. They had total access to me! Medical students and PGY1 Residents ask a lot of questions ;) I enjoyed it because I got to know the providers on a more one-on-one basis and I had a bit of freedom on my day to day tasks.

I do prefer working in a billing office though. I have been doing it for 10 yrs now. The thing you'll want to think about will be the size of office/dept you are looking at and the position you are being considered for. A larger company will traditionally have things structured so that most everything is streamlined for you. Account Exec's and liaisons have Provider and Group Point of Contact only (coders will only be coding), charts are returned by lists or through the EMR itself, turn around times are usually determined by billing Month End dates when charges need to be entered in the billing system or by the groups contract with the company. The nice part about it too is if you get stuck on a chart, there is another coder next to you or an email away to help you. My newly certified coders love this because they can pick the brains of those who have been coding for years. One thing to consider though is that as you progress you may be expected to meet daily quotas. Some coders do not like to be held to a timer. Another perk could be cross specialty coding training down the line if you choose a company that does not specialize in one or two coding services.

As you consider smaller billing companies, these types of things may not be as streamlined and those responsibilities above could potentially be added into a coders job
description.

I am sure at this point you already made your call and I wish you luck!