Wiki Billing record request from law office

Blackhorse

Guru
Best answers
I normally send out billing record to law offices with either patient's consent or subpoena from the court. Recently there is a law office keeps calling me for payment info. The billing record I sent to them is for last year and we have already been paid by Monarch under capitation. Technically if the patient is dealing with a law office for his personal injury, we need to sign up an agreement with the law office and we should not bill his insurance. But for this case, patient or the law office has never informed us that they are handling this case and I was told by the law firm that they will pay insurance back. Now because insurance has paid us under Cap, on the billing record, there is only our charge amount and adjustment, there is no info for payment; this law firm keeps bugging me for payment info. As a courtesy, my job is to collect patient's consent, $15 fee and send them the billing record; and I have no obligation to explain or research payment for them. Am I right?

You have zero obligation to the law firm. Tell them they can copy records, and make those records available to them. You can also tell them that all requests must be in writing. You can also tell them your hourly rate for educating them on capitation if you like ($500 per hour or any portion thereof sounds good to me). That is the extent of your obligation.

You have zero obligation to the law firm. Tell them they can copy records, and make those records available to them. You can also tell them that all requests must be in writing. You can also tell them your hourly rate for educating them on capitation if you like ($500 per hour or any portion thereof sounds good to me). That is the extent of your obligation.
Thank you Sharon 👍