Wiki Billing post op visits during global

brittany1356

Networker
Best answers
Hello all~

I am struggling today with the way I am billing my post op hospital visits during a global period. I want to give an example and hopefully will get some feedback.

Pt is admitted into the hospital for CABG. POD 2 pt develops SVT. The surgeon who performed the CABG requests consultation from cardiologist from the same group. The cardiologist does the consult and sees the patient subsequently for a few days, and returns to NSR without further complications. The cardiologist signs off. The surgeon continues to follow up with the patient daily. The pt has chronic lung disease, and develops respiratory issues e.g. respiratory failure, atelectasis, pleural effusions...pulmonology is also following the pt daily. I billed for the cardiologist's consultation and subsequent visits with 24 modifier. Do you agree with this? Also, would it be appropriate for the surgeon that performed the CABG to bill for the respiratory issues with 24 modifier, or no because pulmonology is also following the pt??

Any suggestions are welcome. I bill a lot of global surgeries and want to make sure that I have the right understanding and appropriate usage of 24 modifier.

Thank you again,
Brittany, CPC