Wiki Billing Pharmacist for blood pressure/med checks

Brenda1973

Networker
Best answers
Hi, does anyone have information on how a pharmacist would be able to bill for a hypertension appointment? my employer is trying to create a program. The visit would involve lifestyle counseling and medication dose titration done by a pharmacist. What would the reimbursement generally be? Is there a limit to frequency? any help/advice/ guidelines would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank -you!

Currently (and this may change) a pharmacist may not bill independently for any type of E&M visit, except a nurse visit; 99211, as long as incident-to criteria are met. Some states allow higher levels of service by pharmacist licensure, and commercial payers vary in their policies. Medicare allows only 99211. Other types of visits (educational, preventive counseling) that allow non-physician practitioners to perform may be appropriate, but again, you have to bill incident-to, and would have to check to see if payers recognize those codes. The CPT book is full of codes that nobody pays for!!
Be cautious with incident-to billing. No new patients, no new problems, there must be a treatment plan in place, the supervising provider has to be in the same office suite, the pharmacist has to be under the direct employment of the practice/provider, and you cannot bill this along with another E&M on the same day.

I've been looking for a workaround for this for years, relative to Medical Home models, but until the federal government recognizes pharmacists as billing providers, this is the best we can do, unless your payer mix is made up entirely of commercial plans that allow pharmacists to bill.

Here's an AAPC article that has some good information.

Currently (and this may change) a pharmacist may not bill independently for any type of E&M visit, except a nurse visit; 99211, as long as incident-to criteria are met. Some states allow higher levels of service by pharmacist licensure, and commercial payers vary in their policies. Medicare allows only 99211. Other types of visits (educational, preventive counseling) that allow non-physician practitioners to perform may be appropriate, but again, you have to bill incident-to, and would have to check to see if payers recognize those codes. The CPT book is full of codes that nobody pays for!!
Be cautious with incident-to billing. No new patients, no new problems, there must be a treatment plan in place, the supervising provider has to be in the same office suite, the pharmacist has to be under the direct employment of the practice/provider, and you cannot bill this along with another E&M on the same day.

I've been looking for a workaround for this for years, relative to Medical Home models, but until the federal government recognizes pharmacists as billing providers, this is the best we can do, unless your payer mix is made up entirely of commercial plans that allow pharmacists to bill.

Here's an AAPC article that has some good information.

You are wonderful!! Thank you so much!! I appreciate this information!